To Flunk or To Flunk not- Blog-a-ton 6

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 6; the sixth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.


“30 minutes more. Quick get your act together” the invigilator shouted as our Protagonist was in Trans, thinking. Within 30 minutes, whatever college life has left in him will dry like dew facing the sun.
Let me tell you about our protagonist, Hari. He is a guy with all the bad luck loaded on his side. He was born on 31-12-1987 at 11.59 pm, missing the leap year by a whisker.
“Mr. Madan you have a son” said the nurse.
“I should go to Tirupathi, Thanks nurse”, Madan thanked her and started praying.
The next minute his Mother dies and his dad’s Tirupathi trip was now to mortuary. He was absolutely pathetic when it came to academics; flunked 2 years in school; always a menace to his father. Current Status- 3 arrears to clear and that’s an achievement. Well that’s all you need know about him.

Now Let us turn the clock and go back to a Day before the exam.

“Hey worthless, are you planning to flunk this time too” Madan asked to his son.
“No, dad! Look, I am trying my best”
“I almost went to Tirupathi because you were born, dont make me to go to …….”
“Cut it out dad, I’m leaving”
“Hey where are you going? Let me complete. I want to see you pass before going to my casket” He shouted and mumbled “Lord Balaji! Why me?” and switched on the TV.
It was 3 days to go before the last exam. Madan, Hari’s father, really wanted him to get through this badly. He had flunked almost 2 times in a row. Madan wore his shoes and went straight to the university where his son studied.
He went to the peon “shhh hey Ramu where is the IT (Income Tax) Paper”
“Sir, Rs 2000 give me, question paper home take” said the peon in his broken English
“You question paper give, me money give. Shit! You gimme the question paper first” said Madan as he was immersed in peon’s accent.
Two Notes which read “One thousand Rupees” and with Gandhiji smiling on it exchanged with the IT paper and Madan hurriedly hogged on to his bike and went to his home.
“Hariiiiiii”
“Yes, what do you want?”
“Here take these are important questions, a friend of mine’s son gave it ”
Hari gazed his father and the paper one after the other and said, “Thanks, dad”
Madan was happy his son didn't know they were the most important questions as it were the questions that would appear the day after

Now let us time travel and enter the present……

21mhrx2

That’s it Mr. Hari your done” The invigilator said and snatched the answer paper from and Hari. Hari went out the hall.
Back home Madan was eagerly awaiting his son, only a band and a horse was missing. Hari returned home and seeing his face Madan had creases on his forehead.
“Hari, what happened?”
“Dad that was not the model paper”
“Then. (Ramu you are finished)”
“It was the question paper”
“Oh really (You are saved Ramu)”
“But dad, i didn't write the exam properly because it wouldn’t be fair. Many people would have prepared hard for this exam and I want to do it the right way”
Tears slipped out of Madan’s eyes and he hugged Hari , “For all the time you have lived, this made me proudest, my son” and mumbled “ Oh shit I would have been even prouder if you got more at least time”
“Now Shall we go to Tirupathi and celebrate your coming of age”
“Dad, chuck Lord Balaji lets go to Hotel Balaji Bhavan and have something, I am starving”.
You know what really happened, the sucker Hari lost the papers somewhere and only had a glance if it. What a nice way escape with some emotional crap? As Father, like son. Probability is just a way to make you believe you’ve got a chance. Some people never change and some people  are destined to something, the bright part is; it is written with a pencil as the picture denotes and you can rewrite your destiny if you have the guts.

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

Comments

  1. What a noble thought indeed!!
    Good story and interesting narration!!
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thats a interesting thought...nice one...:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see someone got inspired watching 3 idiots.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ shilpa and Sid

    thank you

    @nethra

    OH Shit i never noticed that. To be honest i took the storyline from a short story i read in my school. It's a tamil short story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story. Forget Balaji, let's go Balaji Bhavan. I liked that. :D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting.. Very well put with your sarcasm :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good story Venky. Glad the father agreed to the Balaji Bhavan offer and not force his son, bent ear et al, to Yedukondalavada's for a tonsure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarcasm has been put to good use :) Good effort to portray the life of a student :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was good read. Liked the sarcastic humor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good one as usual and you have an uncanny habit of turning a sentimental end into a comical one, don't you??? lol.

    Two comments though:

    (i) On style (this is just a personal observation): your stories mix conversations with the audience as well as narratives. Knowing you, I suppose it is not unconscious. But it would be great, especially in a short story, to maintain one sort of narrative - either like you converse with an audience or an entire third person narrative where the audience does not figure in the narrative.

    (ii) "As father, as son." - I am not sure if "as" can replace "like" in all contexts! Well, if that's possible you are right, else you may want to change it.

    General observation (this has nothing to do with you but remembered): some people say they have their own syntax. By all means, we all have our own idiosyncrasies. But our own syntactic ideolects should still only permute in ways so far unimagined options available. There is someone who I know who always clefts or topicalises his sentences. "Ice-creams, I like." "Love, I hate." "Loser, is Srini (lol)" and things like that. Clefting and topicalisations are options in English but they have restricted usages.

    In my mind, this is the best of your short stories although I guess among the shortest. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Vicky, that was damn hilarious! Enjoyed reading it to the core. "Come let's go to tirupathi... no, let's to go to balaji bhavan.." lol.. Awesome! :-)
    All the best, man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Ajai

    Do you like Balaji Bhavan food :-)

    @ Meow
    Was it sarcastic, I never meant it to be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Madhu

    Well his Father has already lost rs 2000 for that paper, budget constraint

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Raksha Raman

    thank you wish you the same too

    @Dreamer

    thanks that was unintently sarcastic I think so ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Srini

    Yep i do have the habit. Now matter how hard I try I end up doing this

    (i) I tried doing it but i couldnt get the feel when it wasn't mixed. May I dont have the ability to do that as of now.

    (ii) Even i thought i sounded odd when i said it like that i guess As father like son would be better what say?

    It is really amazing when we try the least we get something we never expected. I though "3 days and 2 nights" was my best

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Karthik

    :'-( last BAT you mistook a character for me . This time you changed my name from Venky to Vicky I am sobbing man :'-(

    Anyways i am glad you enjoyed the post Hope that luck translates to reality ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good story Venky! I liked the end Best! Especially when the son looses the paper...and the destiny part as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As long you don't say "ass father, like son" I guess it should be semantically safe. :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOOOOoohhh shit man!! So very sorry. Please don't mind. :(
    Damn me! I am usually very cautious about names. Dunno why I did such a mistake this time.
    Sorry again, Venky.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lol :D
    Nice narration as everybody mentioned!
    I fell in love with the first para, it's the type of intro's they give in Telugu movies :D
    Nevertheless an entry worth reading mate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Pra

    Thanks prashanshaji i am glad you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Srini

    hahaha I can make that even filthy But i dont want to ;-) here

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Karthik

    forget it man atleast you got it right this time. I was just joking apology accepte anyway ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Pawan

    Telugu movie intro hahaha edukundala vada govinda. After all my name VENKATADRI is one of the 7 hills in tirupathi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice story with good twists...indeed like a movie scene...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL.. Poor Madan and poor Harii..

    but smart Ramu :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Neha

    I am watching way to many movies these days may be thats what making me like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ Aativas

    Made for each other "eyes winking" or should I say Made by one for the other :-) i hope you understood that

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Meenakshi

    Yep poor if they refuse learn from their mistake

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely!
    Nicely done.

    Good luck for BATOM6! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. lol!!!

    sarcarm at its best!!!
    Good one!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. As u told in my mail, I can see many sarcasm here :P
    I mean that kinda comments! Show me where the sarcastic humor is, lemme learn! This end is kinda ok.. But the one u showed me was too good!

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Gkam

    Thank you wish you the same too

    ReplyDelete
  34. @ Jaunty Anima

    I hope you are not being sarcastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. @shruthi

    Hey Nethra found it like 3 idiots. I never noticed that, i wouldn't want it to be that way so i changed the end. Even I liked that end. As far the sarcasm :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Interesting post with apt narration...
    good intro...(reminded me a telugu movie)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Mad-ras University Results Saga

My Tryst with God

The Indian Dream