Thala and Wall

After 22 years of my existence in this planet I finally got to watch a night show. Surprisingly my mom didn’t have an issue with it. One of my friends called and asked me if I would accompany him to Udhayam theatre for watching Mankatha-night show. Normally I would immediately refuse the offer if it read the word “night” But I just had a hunch and said a yes. I heard a lot of good things about the movie from a friend of mine who watched it earlier that morning and yet wasn’t that excited.

  The guy who accompanied me was a Vijay fan, needless to say the kind of things he said when we were about to enter the cinema hall. “Dei padam sumaar dhan da, IPL final la panam kolla adippan” The ticket we had for the movie were complimentary and we didn’t spend a single penny. Obviously I had nothing to loose not even sleep. It’s been so long since I slept before 2am.

  My idea of a night show all these years was that it would be deserted, people wont come with their families, posse of boys are the main audience, people turn up drunk, women folk shy away. After visiting one myself, I realized my version was similar to that version of a south Indian with an oiled hair, eating idly and sambar all time, thought off by the amits.

  I entered the hall and I saw a little girl pestering her father to buy the overpriced Ice cream at the theatre, which he was politely refusing. I was full of puppy shame ya! She was hardly 10 and she comes for a night show and I am 22 but this is my first! What life da this!

  They were showing all the documentaries and ads before the film and the audience were shouting “otha padatha podra! veetukku vera poganum” They finally started the movie with huge “THALAAAAA” roar from the audience. Mind you, this was at 10pm. The first few minutes of the film was absolutely inaudible. Literally everyone was shouting. They were shouting the most when Ajith was hurling abuses! The film was fantastic. Enjoyed it to the core. I absolutely enjoyed Ajith’s performance more so because his character was similar to my THALA CM Punk’s heel persona. Even my “Vijay fan” friend liked the film a lot.

  I just made up my mind that I will watch films in theatres in theatres like these, especially the mass movies. The big multiplexes suck! All of the audience are absolfuckingly sophisticated. But man! This experience is surreal. I wonder What if I had watched Endhiran in a theatre like this and not in that PVR with a lame audience. Damn I missed it!

  The show got over around 1am. I was worried how I would walk back to my place crossing all those pissed off dogs and possibly police who might ask who I was. The gate at my flats are usually closed around 11pm and I was way off and I had to jump over the wall. Jumping wall aint a problem for me, I can climb trees itself ya! But my apprehension was, what if a policeman going rounds sees me jump the wall and lock me up? I know I am insane.

  As I neared my place a dog was staring at me. Long before during my stay at my aunts place I realized you never stare back at a dog NEVER! I walked the opposite side and pretended as if the dog was invisible. I then found that the gates weren't locked. I made up my mind so much to jump the wall, I actually jumped over the wall when the gates were open. Thankfully no one saw it and I came back just in time to watch India lose to the snobs thanks to Samit Patel’s prostitute luck! I looked at the calendar and the date was September 1, just a day before my days of being vetti are over. Damn it is totally depressing! I will miss being vetti! YES I WILL!

Comments

  1. Hehehe whatta puppy shame!! Even the chinna papa comes to a nightshow!! Even I wanna watch mankatha!! But with too much workload not able to mOve out !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! True about PVR audience. I was the only one hooting during Endhiran and everyone were giving me weird looks. :|

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Mad-ras University Results Saga

My Tryst with God

The Indian Dream